I've just done the '5 minute stream of consciousness' exercise to get my creative juices flowing, and it occurred to me what a weird phrase that is; "get my creative juices flowing..."Where the heck did that come from? It sounds like something a serial killer would say; "Hello my love. I'm here with my axe to get your juices flowing. Now hush, no screaming..." Creepy.
The web isn't real helpful on the origin of the phrase, except for some nasty variant examples on Urban Dictionary. Seriously, that website is written by 12 year-olds.
So, other than the particular juice that Urban Dictionary suggests, what are we talking about here? I know the juices are metaphorical, but that's only after they're suggested to us by the speaker. Who thought of it first? I mean, I can see getting your oil hot and flowing, like in a car. I can see getting the bloody juices in your meat flowing, like when you cook a steak. Those are normal examples of juices flowing.
Unfortunately, when I hear "get your juices flowing", the only image that comes to mind is that of Beast Rabban of House Harkonnen when he squishes that little creature in the clear plastic Juicebox Of Doom. Maybe that's it. Is there some specific kind of brain juice?
And Juicebox of Doom it is. My first blog category.
No comments:
Post a Comment